Day 38
Ben and I did our first trach change completely on our own with no hospital personnel in the room. It went really well, so that is comforting. We found dried blood in Hailey's ear. Apparently she burst her ear drum on her right side. Poor thing. I feel so bad that we didn't know she had an ear infection. It looks like the ear tubes must have fallen out. It heals on its own, so it is okay, but I just feel bad. They put her on an antibiotic for that.
She also had a little episode that made us kind of nervous. For some reason her oxyen saturations dropped into the 50s. We still aren't sure what caused her to do that. It might have just been a mucus plug in her trach, but we aren't sure. It just makes us realized how much we will miss all the hospital support when we are on our own.
Hailey was also having really bad withdrawals, so she has been sweating and gagging and really uncomfortable, so we had to back off a bit on weaning things.
Ben and I are taking turns sleeping at the hospital so that we can get experience.
Our dear friends from Idaho Falls came for a visit today and so did my sister so those were wonderful bright spots in our day!!!!
We sure appreciate all the prayers. The closer we get to discharge the more nervous I get about doing all this alone, but I think somehow it will work out :-)
Comments
Post a Comment