More good news!
I took Hailey in for another hearing screening today. The audiologist told me that 80% of people who are on ECMO have significant hearing loss. Plus, the heavy-duty antibiotics can cause hearing-loss as well and Hailey was in all the major ones. Hailey failed one screening a couple of weeks ago when she had an ear infection. Needless to say we were pretty worried.
Today I took her in and she passed! She still has normal hearing which is absolutely a miracle considering what she has been through!
We are so grateful!
One of my dear friends from our time at the Ronald McDonald house told me that when they did her son's valve replacement they used a donor valve and those actually grow with your child. I have no idea if there is any chance Hailey would get a donor valve instead of a pig valve, but that would mean far fewer surgeries in the future--I think. So, I am praying she could get that kind. It's one of those things we won't even know until after surgery. They just use what they have available.
Hailey and I leave for California on Tuesday.
I am dreading it in a lot of ways and I am relieved in a lot of ways.
We appreciate all the love, support, and prayers!
Comments
Post a Comment