Code Blue-but stable now

Yesterday evening Hailey took a turn for the worse. We couldn't figure out what was wrong. I got a call around 2:30am that she had been moved to the Pediatric  ICU (PICU) because her heart rate was over 200. I rushed down to the hospital leaving Ben, the girls, and Ben's mom at the Ronald McDonald House. Ben would have come then, but the RMH wanted a parent with the kids. 

Hailey did not look good when I arrived. She was puffy and really out of it. Ben was trying to get the RMH to let him leave the girls with his mom when suddenly the doctors said they couldn't feel a pulse. They started CPR and pushed a code blue alarm button. Doctors and nurses came running from every direction. 

They traded off doing CPR. Her heart would start again, then stop, then start then stop. They just kept doing CPR and giving her medicine until they could get her on a heart-lung machine called ECMO (ek-mow) that bypasses the heart and lungs. To put her on it they had to surgically insert 2 huge tubes into her neck to circulate her blood. It was the longest 2 hours of my life waiting for them to get it going. 

They tested her g-tube and saw some leaking. So, they decided to do a stomach surgery to see if there was abnormal leaking going on. 

They let us see her for a couple of seconds before that surgery. They found a small hole caused by a routine stitch. Formula had leaked out of the hole into her abdominal cavity. That caused all the fluid in her body to be drawn into her abdomen and made her dehydrated, which is what caused the heart problems. 

They cleaned everything out and closed the incision. Now they are putting IVs everywhere. She is stable but still critically  ill. The ECMO has it's own risks including bleeding, clotting, and stroke, and there is a possibility that she could have brain damage from the lack of oxygen during CPR. 

I cannot really express my feelings. It was so hard and awful to see her like that, but  I know God is in charge. 

I almost lost my sweet babe today. I only know that God is in control and that he loves her and me and that is something to cling to in the face of the towering mountain of things I do not know. 

Comments

  1. Wow Angie, that is terrifying! Poor sweet Hailey. I'm so sorry for all you're going through. I love you and your family and will be praying for you.... so hard. Your faith and strength are so inspiring. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie...I cannot even imagine. I am so sorry, so sorry. You guys have literally gone through the refiners fire throughout this process with sweet Hailey. She has had to fight every second she has been on earth and I am certain Heavenly Father knew no one would be better to help her through that then Ben, you and your sweet girls. It is so scary not knowing what will happen but I am so grateful for the gospel and that your family is so strong and can turn this over to the Lord. We are praying and fasting today for little Hailey. Thank you for the updates. Miracles can happen, but as you said, it is all in the Lord's hands. If there is anything else we can do from afar please let us know. You are all in our thoughts and prayers continually. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Hailey Hodge

Home Sweet Home!!!

Day 24 Headed Home