Day 20

When I walked into the PICU this morning there were about 12 people around Hailey's bed and a "crash cart" with emergency medications and supplies to re-intubate if necessary. 

Needless to say I was startled and very worried. I found out that she had kind of stopped breathing and turned blue, but it was caused by a big mucous plug. They were able to get it out with everyone's help, but not being able to breathe scared her and made her heart get into what they call an "SVT". It is an irregular high heart beat. They had pads on her chest and back in case they had to shock her back to a regular rhythm. 

However, she was able to get back to a regular rhythm on her own. Everyone kind of agreed that this was caused by the mucous plug and further complicated by dehydration. 

So, they adjusted some of her medications to get her to be less dehydrated. 

Despite the crazy morning I have been feeling like we might need to just try high flow oxygen instead of the cpap since she hates that so much. The doctors were okay with trying it so we are making the attempt. She is happy to have the huge mask off her face.

She is kind of miserable because they are going down on some of her sedation meds again, but I am glad we are chipping away at those because the sooner we get rid of them, the better!

Can't tell you how much we appreciate your love, thoughts, and prayers!! 

Comments

  1. Angie and Ben, we're so thankful Hailey is doing better now and pray that you both are all right after going through that upsetting situation. I try to think that each day is a day closer to being out of the hospital and going home. Love y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you always! Hoping she can get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you always! Hoping she can get well soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Hailey Hodge

Home Sweet Home!!!

Day 24 Headed Home