Day 14
Today they had to increase Hailey's breathing support on the ventilator a little bit. For some reason the last couple of days she has just seemed uncomfortable and I feel like maybe there is something else going on. They are checking her CRP (infection numbers) and they took an x-ray. She has had some fevers here and there too.
They are telling me that if she doesn't have anything else going on, they would want her to get extubated within the next 2-3 days or they will really start pushing for a trach. If there is something else they would maybe let her wait another week. There are risks to being intubated and the longer someone is intubated, the weaker their muscles for breathing become. It is kind of like having a cast on your arm, the cast does all the supporting and the muscles get weak in the meantime. So, they really want her to be extubated. I still don't feel like she really needs a trach. She has always been able to get off the ventilator before, so I really feel like there might be something else going on. We need lots of prayers that she can move forward and not need a trach. I am very concerned about how she would handle that surgery, so I reallly don't want to go that route if at all possible.
We sure appreciate all your prayers and support.
Comments
Post a Comment