Day 23
They almost decided to extubate Hailey this morning (take out the breathing tube), but although I was very excited about the prospect of her finally being extubated, I was concerned because she has been showing some signs of withdrawal from her continuous drips of narcotics. During those times her work of breathing increases. We decided we had better get that under control first, so no extubation until at least tomorrow, provided we can get the withdrawals under control. She has been having fevers here and there too. They have sent blood cultures (again) but I am starting to think that is withdrawal as well. Poor Hailey. Withdrawal can be very hard. She is sweating trembling, yawning, sneezing, having fevers, and acting agitated.
We definitely need lots of prayers for a successful extubation and that Hailey will be able to STAY extubated like she has done in the past so that we can throw the trach idea out, or at least hopefully throw it out. We may need a sleep study to know for sure.
I feel lke it is absolutely a miracle that we are considering extubating this week when I compare to where she was last Thursday. Last Thursday I feared for her life and this Thursday I feel hopeful that she can finally be extubated. If Ben hadn't come down last week I'd have been beside myself. I always handle things much better when he is here. Ben and the girls are coming tomorrow as soon as Ben can get off work. I will be so excited to see them.
Ben taught the girls to use FaceTime on his ipod when he is at work so that hey have a way to communicate with me face to face during the day. The first day they called 12 times, which I found hilarious and cute! Hey, at least I know I am loved!!! :-) Sometimes they wanted to talk and sometimes they just wanted to "take me" with them into their fort or to sit with them while they ate apples. Ben said that the usual nightly tears have eased up a bit with their newfound freedom, so despite the calls being frequent, I feel very grateful for technology giving us the ability to recapture some family time. I was even able to help with homework! Hooray I can be a mom to my other kiddos!!!
Once again thank you for your continued prayers and I hope to write tomorrow with good news!
Comments
Post a Comment